My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, April 8, 2024

April 8, 2024: I Am AmericanStudying Sidney Poitier: Vaughn Joy on No Way Out

[This coming weekend marks the 60th anniversary of Sidney Poitier becoming the first Black actor to win a Best Actor Oscar. So this week I’ll AmericanStudy a handful of Poitier performances, leading up to a special post on a handful of 21C actors carrying his legacy forward!]

Back in January, at the end of my series on Columbia Pictures’ 100th anniversary, I paid tribute to a current FilmStudier I really love: Vaughn Joy. I ended that list of (some of) Vaughn’s many impressive pieces and projects by highlighting one of her newest, her Review Roulette newsletter. Not too long after that, Vaughn focused on a Black History Month edition of her newsletter on Sidney Poitier’s film debut, No Way Out (1950). It’s one of my favorite entries in a newsletter that I’m always excited to see in my inbox, so in lieu of today’s post I’ll ask you to check out that hyperlinked piece of Vaughn’s, subscribe to Review Roulette, and come on back here tomorrow for the next PoitierStudying!

Next Poitier post tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Other Poitier films you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment