My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Thursday, April 6, 2023

April 6, 2023: NeMLA Reflections: Robin Field on Postpartum Depression

[A couple weekends back I was in Niagara Falls for the 54th annual Northeast Modern Language Association Convention. Longtime readers will know well how much I love NeMLA, the organization and the convention alike, and this year was no exception. So as usual, here are a handful of reflections on a great NeMLA convention!]

I hope that all those folks whose work and voice I’ve been fortunate enough to share in a Guest Post need no elaborate introduction, and high on that list would have to be my friend Robin Field, both for her own Guest Post and for the three that have been contributed (so far) by her awesome King’s College students! I’ve had the chance to hear Robin speak at multiple NeMLA conferences, including on a 2021 panel I organized and chaired. But if you think that means I wouldn’t jump at the chance to hear another presentation of Robin’s, you’ve got another think coming—I was very excited to hear her talk about Helen Dunmore’s Talking to the Dead on a roundtable about Narratives of Pregnancy, Birth, and Postpartum, and as always Robin delivered (pun intended, sorry), with a thoughtful take on a complex book that also offered vital lessons for how we collectively navigate some of the most difficult health and wellness challenges.

Last reflection tomorrow,

Ben

PS. If you were at NeMLA, I’d love to hear your reflections too!

No comments:

Post a Comment