My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, April 22, 2023

April 22-23, 2023: Crowd-sourced Soap Opera Studying

[April 22nd marks the 100th anniversary of the birth of the king of primetime soap operas, Aaron Spelling. So this week I’ve AmericanStudied Spelling and other soap opera contexts, leading up to this crowd-sourced cliffhanger of a weekend post featuring the responses and thoughts of fellow SoapStudiers. Add yours in comments!]

Vaughn Joy seconds what I tweeted in introducing the series, writing, “I 100% agree that Aaron Spelling is one of the most influential Americans of the 20th century.”

Rob Gosselin takes a quote from Tuesday’s post, about “testing the mind of the viewer,” in a different direction: “Wait until AI starts producing television shows. It will not only test us, but it will find increasingly effective ways to influence us. Right now we are just cattle for mass media. We are about to become sheep.”

Other SoapOperaStudying takes:

Georgina tweets, “I’ve loved soap operas since the time my mom plopped me in the ‘playpen’ so she could watch General Hospital. They covered all the hot button issues from rape and domestic violence to AIDS with lots of amnesia and evil twins in between.” And she shares this article as well, as a “good opportunity to talk rape pre-#metoo & soap operas during #SexualAssaultAwarenessMonth.”

& StanYeahMan shares the work of fellow SoapOperaStudier Will McKinley.

Next series starts Monday,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Other soap opera contexts or stories you’d share?

No comments:

Post a Comment