My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, January 20, 2023

January 20, 2023: Spring 2023 Previews: Short Stories for ALFA

[This week marks the beginning of a new semester, and so as always I wanted to preview classes I’m teaching, this time through individual authors and texts I’m excited to be including on this syllabi. Leading up to a special weekend update on my own newest book project!]

This Spring I’ll be teaching for a couple different adult learning programs as usual, including my return after many years away to the BOLLI program at Brandeis. I always enjoy each and every one of those courses, but I’m especially excited to be teaching for the first time in many years a reading-centered class for the ALFA program. Entitled “Great American Stories, Past and Present,” each meeting of this course will pair a great short story from American literary history with one from our contemporary moment. Of course I have plenty of starting points and ideas, but when it comes to contemporary short stories in particular I also know that there’s a lot I don’t know yet. Or rather that I still have to learn—which is where you all come in! I’d love to hear, whether here or by email, contemporary short stories (or authors) that have really struck you, that I should put on the shortlist for the contemporary readings in this course’s pairings. Thanks in advance, and here’s to a great semester!

Next Spring preview tomorrow,

Ben

PS. So what do you think? Short stories I should definitely consider or include?  

No comments:

Post a Comment