My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, November 21, 2022

November 21, 2022: Thanks-givings: Bruce’s Soul

[For this year’s Thanksgiving series, I wanted to highlight briefly but thankfully a handful of the things for which I’m thankful here in late 2022. Add yours for a truly thank-full crowd-sourced weekend post, all!]

Look, obviously any new Springsteen album is an occasion for serious gratitude around these parts. But I’ll admit that when I first heard his new record, Only the Strong Survive, would be all covers, I was a bit bummed, since his songwriting is one of my favorite things about him (a strikingly long and very competitive list). But when he talked in that hyperlinked video about why he wanted to focus on his voice, and why he chose the soul classics from the 60s, 70s, and 80s as the vehicle through which to do so, it made a lot of sense. When I heard his stunningly beautiful and moving cover of The Commodores’ “Night Shift,” it made even more sense. I think that’s still my favorite of the album’s 15 songs, but there too there’s plenty of competition. I needed this album in November 2022, and I dare say we all do. That’s most definitely something to be thankful for!

Next Thanks-giving tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What are you thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment