My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, November 15, 2021

November 15, 2021: The Montgomery Bus Boycott: The Women Who Began It

[November 13th marked the 65th anniversary of a key moment in the unfolding history of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. So this week I’ll AmericanStudy a handful of layers to that Civil Rights Movement activism, leading up to a weekend post on 21st century legacies and echoes!]

For the second piece for my Saturday Evening Post Considering History column, nearly four years ago now, I wrote about the #MeToo movement against sexual assault and racial violence that really began the Montgomery Bus Boycott (and thus helped launch the Civil Rights Movement). Rather than reprint the whole thing here, I’ll ask you to check out that piece, thanks! [I will add here what I made clear there as well, that that column was entirely indebted to Danielle McGuire’s fabulous book At the Dark End of the Street.]

Next bus boycott layer tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Sides to this history or histories like it you’d highlight?  

No comments:

Post a Comment