My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, February 15, 2021

February 15, 2021: Non-Favorite American Myths: The First Thanksgiving

[Given my overall 2021 goal of better remembering all of American history, for this year’s post-Valentine’s non-favorites series I wanted to highlight some of the historical myths of which I’m decidedly not a fan. Share your own non-favorites, historical and every other type, for a crowd-sourced weekend airing of grievances that’s always one of my favorite posts of the year!]

This year we commemorate the 400th anniversary of the autumn 1621 harvest celebration that has become known as “the first Thanksgiving.” So it makes sense to start this week’s series by sharing my November 2018 Saturday Evening Post Considering History column on how we can and should push past that myth to explore both the painful and the inspiring histories that contextualize and comprise that complex early American moment.

Next non-favorite tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Non-favorites (historical or otherwise) you’d share?

No comments:

Post a Comment