My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, August 31, 2019

August 31-September 1, 2019: August 2019 Recap


[A Recap of the month that was in AmericanStudying.]
August 5: Remembering Marilyn Monroe: Her Death: On the anniversary of Monroe’s tragic death, a MonroeStudying series starts with why that tragedy has become unnecessarily controversial.
August 6: Remembering Marilyn Monroe: Her American Origins: The series continues with three under-remembered, tellingly American details from Monroe’s early life and identity.
August 7: Remembering Marilyn Monroe: Her Films: Three stages of Monroe’s brief but impressively multi-layered filmography, as the series rolls on.
August 8: Remembering Marilyn Monroe: Her Marriages: How each of Monroe’s three marriages reflects different mid-20th century American contexts.
August 9: Remembering Marilyn Monroe: “Candle in the Wind”: The series concludes with three ways Elton John’s iconic song captures key elements of Monroe in and beyond the myths.
August 10: Birthday Bests: 2010-2011: My annual bday series starts with 34 favorite posts from the blog’s first year.
August 11: Birthday Bests: 2011-2012: 35 favorites from year 2!
August 18: Birthday Bests: 2018-2019: And my newest bday post, 42 favorites from this past, 9th year of AmericanStudying!
August 19: Cville Influences: Proal Heartwell: For my annual post-Charlottesville series, I focused on influences from my Cville childhood, starting with my favorite teacher.
August 20: Cville Influences: William Byers: The series continues with the man who taught me to swim and can teach us all about the histories of segregation and race in Cville.
August 21: Cville Influences: Four More Public School Teachers: Four more wonderful Charlottesville public school teachers and influences, as the series rolls on.
August 22: Cville Influences: Steve Cushman: Professional, poetic, and personal inspirations from my second favorite University of Virginia Professor.
August 23: Cville Influences: Satyendra Huja: The series concludes with the quiet influences of diversity and their potently loud effects.
August 24-25: Cville Influences: Bellamy Brown: The City Council campaign of a Cville peer helps me highlight how my own generation are adding our influences to the city and world.
August 26: Talking We the People: Early Talks: A series on book talks for my new book starts with how I shaped the ideas through early talks at a NH discussion group, the Gardner Museum, and FSU.
August 27: Talking We the People: Shirley Prison: The series continues with what was distinct about talking We the People in a prison classroom, and what was inspiringly the same.
August 28: Talking We the People: Needham Public Library: An amazing chance to talk about the book in the library where I wrote it (and my last three), and in front of the two young men who inspired it.
August 29: Talking We the People: Toadstool Bookstore: Three inspiring individual conversations at my most recent book talk, as the series reads on.
August 30: Talking We the People: Upcoming Talks: The series concludes with three upcoming talks that illustrate the breadth of spaces and audiences for which I’d love to talk We the People!
Next series begins Monday,
Ben
PS. Topics you’d like to see covered in this space? Guest Posts you’d like to contribute? Lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment