My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, August 30, 2019

August 30, 2019: Talking We the People: Upcoming Talks


[I’ve long been a fan of book talks, but since my most recent book, We the People: The 500-Year Battle over Who is American, is intended to be my most public yet, I’ve redoubled my dedication to talking about it anywhere and everywhere. Since I’m on sabbatical this fall and even more flexible, I wanted to take this week to highlight some of my prior and upcoming talks, as examples that I hope can lead to more such opportunities! I’ll travel and talk anywhere and am happy to pay my own way for the chance to share these stories and histories!]
On three Fall 2019 talks that illustrate the breadth of audiences/conversations with which I’d love to share this book.
1)      Boxborough Public Library: Along with independent bookstores like yesterday’s subject, the Toadstool, public libraries have been and remain one of my favorite venues for talks. I love everything about such talks, from the ethos of the institution to the consistently helpful staff to the diverse and engaged audiences, and I would do everything in my power to get to a library anywhere in the country. Currently I have one more library talk scheduled, at the Boxborough (MA) Public Library in early October, and I’m excited to share We the People there. But again, I’ll never say no to a talk at a library, so if you have any suggestions, please let me know or feel free to reach out to them directly!
2)      Southgate Women’s Circle Breakfast: Reading and discussion groups, like the New Hampshire one I highlighted in Monday’s post, offer a distinct kind of audience and conversation from most other spaces and talks, and I’d love to find ways to connect the book to more such groups and communities. I had the chance to speak at the Women’s Circle Breakfast a year and a half ago, and am excited to be returning to talk with this group once more, this time about connections between We the People and competing forms/visions of patriotism in America (likely the subject of my next book, for more on which watch this space!). I’ll say again, if you are part of or know of other reading/discussion groups for which you think We the People or related topics might be of interest, please feel free to pass those along!
3)      The Lillian E. Smith Center: Academic and educational settings and institutions will likely always remain a central destination for my talks, and rightly so—way back in the intro to my third book I called public scholarship a form of education, and I continue to believe that the two modes of inquiry and discussion are deeply intertwined. I’ve got a few academic talks in the works for the fall, but one that’s definitely on the schedule is my contribution to the Smith Center’s Symposium. My online friend (and soon to be in-person friend, finally!) Matthew Teutsch is the Smith Center’s new Director, and that’s just one more reason I’m beyond for the chance to learn more about Smith and her works, take part in this Symposium, and share my ideas of exclusion and inclusion as part of that conversation. Just one of the many reasons I’m very stoked for a fall full of book talks!
August Recap this weekend,
Ben
PS. Ideas or suggestions for future talks, in-person or online? I’d love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment