My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Thursday, June 20, 2019

June 20, 2019: AmericanStudies Beach Reads: Tammar Stein’s YA Novels


[I’ve got some very talented friends and colleagues. So for this year’s annual Beach Reads series, I wanted to highlight works by friends old and new and colleagues at FSU (I’m a poet and I don’t know it!). Leading up to one of my favorite crowd-sourced posts of the year, so make sure to share your Beach Read nominations, please!]
I met Tammar Laufer at a multi-family dinner right before the start of 8th grade, and we were pretty close for the next few years. College took us in separate directions as it tends to, but I distinctly remember getting together to exchange short stories the summer after our first years, and being blown away by Tammar’s story about a college student studying astronomy. I’m pretty sure that story eventually became a starting point for Light Years (2005), the first of Tammar (who publishes as Tammar Stein)’s now six acclaimed and award-winning young adult novels. All of them seem well worth your time, on or off the beach, and they occupy different genre niches so you’re likely to find one that hits your sweet spot; I’m particularly drawn by its description to High Dive (2008), which looks to be a unique exploration of multi-generational family histories, cultures, and identities through the genre of a road trip novel. In any case, I’m proud to say I knew this award-winning YA novelist back in the day, and would be proud to see her books on the beach this summer!
Last Beach Read tomorrow,
Ben
PS. What are you bringing to the beach this year or would you recommend we bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment