My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, September 2, 2016

September 2, 2016: Fall 2016 Previews: Book Four!



[The Fall semester is just around the corner, so this week I’ll preview some of the courses and plans for which I’m excited as a new semester gets underway. I’d love to hear your own upcoming courses, plans, work, or whatever else has you excited for Fall 2016!]
Three things that have changed about my upcoming fourth book since this late May post on it:
1)      The Title (again): I thought we had this nailed down as of late May, but fortunately I’m really happy with the project’s final title, as it reflects both my subjects and (I believe) the book’s contemporary stakes and significance: History and Hope in American Literature: Models of Critical Patriotism. Works for me!
2)      A (rough) Release Date: Rowman & Littlefield have been extremely efficient and helpful to work with, and the project is moving smoothly toward a planned December 2016 release. I’ll do everything I can to move that up a bit, as I’d love for the book to be out right around the election (for the reasons I’ll get to in a moment)—but for a project that’s been so long in gestation, having a due date before year’s end feels very good indeed.
3)      The Stakes: It’s no coincidence that Connecticut Senator Chris Murphy Tweeted this message just after the close of July’s DNC convention in Philadelphia. I’ve always believed that my book’s subjects, and especially my evolving emphasis on critical patriotism, are deeply interconnected with our current moment and its central issues and debates. But this election has reinforced and extended those connections a thousandfold, and convinced me that the stakes for these ideas couldn’t be higher. I’m beyond excited to be part of that conversation, and can’t wait for the chance to share the book where I make that case most explicitly.
Monthly recap this weekend,
Ben
PS. Upcoming work of yours to highlight? Other previews or plans you’d share?

No comments:

Post a Comment