My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, October 12, 2024

October 12-13, 2024: Contested Holidays: Columbus/Indigenous Peoples Day

[Ahead of Columbus/Indigenous Peoples’ Day, I wanted to dedicate a series to exploring such contested American holidays and what they can help us think about. Leading up to this special post on that most conflicted of all our federal holidays!]

On one way my thinking has significantly evolved in the last decade, and one thing I’d still emphasize.

In all but one of the posts this week I started by asking you to check out a prior piece of mine, and so it’s only fitting that in this weekend post I do the same. Back in October 2015 I wrote for my Talking Points Memo column about how we might reinvent Columbus Day, and I’d ask you to check out that column if you would and then come on back here for a couple layers to where my thinking is nine years (!) after I wrote that.

Welcome back! 2015 was right at the start of the movement to replace Columbus Day with Indigenous Peoples’ Day, and nine years later I have to admit I am thoroughly convinced that such a move (which has officially taken place in a number of communities) is the right one. As I hope has been clear throughout the week, and hell throughout this blog’s nearly 14 years, I believe we can and must remember as much of our history as possible. But commemoration is a very different thing (as Michael Kammen knew well), and given the countless impressive and inspiring Americans on whom a collective holiday might focus, I just can’t justify dedicating one of them to someone who never set foot on the continent and who was a pretty thoroughly despicable dude to boot (getting to talk Columbus Day for Junior Scholastic magazine remains a career highlight). In the TPM column I noted the turn of the 20th century reasons why Columbus Day became a thing (make sure to check out that great Guest Post on th subject from my friend Nancy Caronia), and those are certainly still worth remembering as well; but a holiday commemorating Columbus is, to my 2024 mind, a no-go.

Another part of my proposed solution back in 2015 was to add commemorations of a pair of other Spanish arrivals to the Americas, Bartolomé de las Casas y Alvar Nuñez Cabeza de Vaca. While I’m not sure we should try to commemorate them at the same time as Indigenous Peoples Day—one collective holiday dedicated entirely to Native American histories seems quite literally the least we could do—I remain dedicated to adding both of those figures to our collective memories in any and all ways. While there are various reasons for that commitment, at the top of the list is that these two figures, in very distinct but complementary ways, exemplify my concept of cross-cultural transformation, of perspectives and identities that entirely and inspiringly shifted when these individuals from a particular cultural background came into contact with other communities and cultures. Perhaps no individual holiday could quite capture that complicated process—but perhaps one could, because as I hope this whole series has illustrated holidays can be (and have always been) whatever we want them to be. And if we were to commemorate transformative American stories, we couldn’t do much better than las Casas & de Vaca.

Next series starts Monday,

Ben

PS. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment