My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Wednesday, September 4, 2024

September 4, 2024: Fall Semester Previews: English Studies Capstone

[As my 20th (!) year at Fitchburg State University kicks off, I’ll focus my Fall Semester previews on one thing I’m especially excited about for each of my courses. Leading up to a special post on a new scholarly project I’m very excited about as well!]

As I’ve traced here in multiple end of semester reflection posts (hyperlinked below), one of my favorite things over the last few years of teaching has been the opportunity for my English Studies Senior Capstone students to connect with authors we’ve read in that course. That’s included my fellow public scholar Kevin Gannon for his book Radical Hope, but also the authors of our last two 21st century literary texts: Monique Truong and Eric Nguyen. I try to keep that spot on the syllabus particularly fresh, so for this semester’s Capstone section I’ve slotted in a new, very recent novel: Jesmyn Ward’s bracing and beautiful Let Us Descend (2023). I know the students will get a lot out of Ward’s book no matter what, and I’m excited to have a couple weeks of intense conversations about this intense and important novel. But I’m certainly hoping we can connect with Ward, at the very least to share some questions as I did with Nguyen last year. I’ll keep y’all posted on the results!

Next preview post tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What are you excited to teach or work on this Fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment