My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, July 5, 2024

July 5, 2024: Models of Critical Patriotism: MLK and Baldwin, Kaepernick and the 1619 Project

[For my Patriots’ Day series this year, I highlighted examples of mythic patriotism from across American history. So I thought for my July 4th series I would AmericanStudy examples of the other, directly opposed category at the heart of Of Thee I Sing: critical patriotism. Leading up to a weekend post on the state of critical patriotism in 2024!]

I’ve written about critical patriotism beyond this blog series a good bit over the last few years, including for both the History News Network (HNN) and the United States Intellectual History (USIH) blog. But I would say that I expressed both my vision of the concept and my case for its vital importance most clearly in this January 2020 Saturday Evening Post Considering History column on Martin Luther King Jr., James Baldwin, Colin Kaepernick, the 1619 Project, and more!

Special post this weekend,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Other examples or forms of patriotism you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment