My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

October 22-23, 2011 [Tribute post 24]: A New Favorite Songwriter

This is also one of my Guest Posts of Sorts, as this song was found and is highlighted in a blog post by Kevin Levin, about whose great Civil War Memory site I blogged here. I’ll let him do the honor of introducing you, as he just introduced me, to this amazing text and the inspiring anonymous African American Union soldier who composed it (likely intending it, as the first commenter on Levin’s post noted, to be sung to the tune of the “Battle Hymn of the Republic”:

America can get you down sometimes—or, to be more precise about my point, it can get me down sometimes. But it is, as I hope this blog has helped to highlight in all sorts of posts and ways, also a continual source of inspiration, and this is most definitely my latest exemplification of that possibility and power.

More next week,
Ben

PS. Any inspiring American texts, people, events, ideas, stuff you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment