My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, August 10, 2013

August 10-11, 2013: Crowd-sourced Virginia

[Two years ago, when the boys and I last traveled to Virginia, I wrote a series of blog posts about some of the state’s AmericanStudies connections. We’re headed back to my home turf in a week, so this week I’ve presented another series on Virginia histories and stories. This crowd-sourced post is drawn from the responses and takes of fellow AmericanStudies—add yours, y’all!]
Jason Flinkstrom points to the recent archeaological discovery of evidence of cannibalism during the first years at Jamestown.
Alex Theodoridis mentions complex and controversial Virginia Senator Harry Flood Byrd, Jr., who recently passed away.
Donna Moody highlights Thomas Jefferson’s “Indian Mound,” and the many questions it raises: “there seems to be a ton of questionable data about it--when did he excavate it? What about his eyewitness report of seeing Indians going to and stopping by the mound--I've heard this is something he was told, something he reported 1st hand, date?--one story would have made him 8 yo at the time of witnessing this. Guess I would like some clarifications and references.”
Speaking of Jefferson, Rob Velella highlights the complex and crucial Virginia histories of “Jefferson, Monticello, and the University of Virginia.”
Leah Bianchi writes, “I know there’s a lot of history in Fredericksburg. I went on a tour once, very interesting stuff.”
Special birthday series starts Monday,
Ben
PS. What do you think? Other Virginia histories or stories you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment