My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, July 3, 2023

July 3, 2023: Patriotism in 2023: What the Gerrymander? Podcast

[It’s been two and a half years since my book on the contested history of American patriotism was published, and let’s just say it doesn’t feel less relevant at the moment. So for this year’s July 4th series, I wanted to highlight a handful of places and ways I’ve been thinking about the book and patriotism here in 2023. Leading up to a request for any and all further such opportunities to share the project!]

One of the best things about giving a series of book talks is that every one, every setting and audience and conversation, opens up distinct and significant angles on the project. That’s doubly true with podcasts, of course, where the entire conversation is driven by the questions, perspectives, interests of the podcast hosts. Over these two and a half years I’ve had the chance to talk Of Thee I Sing on overtly political podcasts like Burt Cohen’s Keeping Democracy Alive, journalistic ones like Axelbank Reports History and Today, AmericanStudies scholarly ones like Impressions of America, and many more. A couple months back I got to return to the political realm with a conversation about all things patriotism on Stephanie Gerber Wilson and the Hooser Victory Alliance’s excellent What the Gerrymander? Podcast. It was a great conversation in all sorts of ways, but I was particularly inspired by the chance to connect my two most recent books, both from Rowman & Littlefield’s American Ways series: putting Of Thee I Sing and those contested patriotisms in direct conversation with We the People and the battle between exclusionary and inclusive visions of America. I think it really helped me frame my ongoing work and goals even more explicitly, and I highly recommend checking it out if you get a chance!

Next patriotic post tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Ideas for places/ways I could share Of Thee I Sing?

No comments:

Post a Comment