My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, January 30, 2021

January 30-31, 2021: January 2021 Recap

[A Recap of the month that was in AmericanStudying.]

January 4: Hope-full Texts: “A Long December”: A New Year’s series on hope-full cultural works starts with the Counting Crows song we were all quoting as December and 2020 ended.

January 5: Hope-full Texts: The Marrow of Tradition: The series continues the hard-won hope at the end of my favorite American novel.

January 6: Hope-full Texts: The Shawshank Redemption: What we can learn about hope from three famous quotes in the cult classic film, as the series hopes on.

January 7: Hope-full Texts: “‘Hope’ is the thing with feathers”: One of the most beautiful poetic visions of hope, and an equally moving essay about it by one of my favorite AmericanStudiers.

January 8: Hope-full Texts: Radical Hope: The series concludes with perhaps the best of the many things I’ve learned from inspiring fellow teachers and scholars like Kevin Gannon.

January 9-10: Crowd-sourced Hope: My favorite crowd-sourced post ever, with countless responses from fellow AmericanHopers in all the week’s categories and more.  

January 11: Of Thee I Sing: Celebratory Patriotism: In honor of my forthcoming book, a series on my four categories of patriotism starts with the most familiar.

January 12: Of Thee I Sing: Mythic Patriotism: The book series continues with the exclusionary, white supremacist form of patriotism that our celebrations too often morph into.

January 13: Of Thee I Sing: Active Patriotism: The first of my two alternative categories of patriotism, as the series rolls on.

January 14: Of Thee I Sing: Critical Patriotism: The alternative form of patriotism for which my book is ultimately arguing.

January 15-16: Sharing Of Thee I Sing: The series concludes with a special post on five of the many places and ways I’d love to share this book and the contested history of American patriotism.

January 17: Emily Hamilton-Honey’s Hope-full Guest Post: Following up the prior weekend’s Crowd-sourced Post, my twitter friend Emily shared some further thoughts on texts that offer hope!

January 18: MLK Histories: The Real King: My annual MLK Day post on remembering the full Martin Luther King Jr. beyond the most famous speech.

January 19: MLK Histories: “Give Us the Ballot”: A series on under-remembered King texts kicks off with one of his first prominent public speeches.

January 20: MLK Histories: Stride Toward Freedom: The series continues with his memoir and collective history of the 1955 Montgomery bus boycott.

January 21: MLK Histories: Where Do We Go from Here?: King’s final book and the first of two ways to think about his work resonating beyond his death, as the series rolls on.

January 22: MLK Histories: The Poor People’s Campaign: The series concludes with the collective action and the second of two ways to think about King’s work resonating beyond his assassination.

January 23-24: MLK’s 21st Century Heirs: A special weekend post on five figures who carry King’s legacy into the 21st century.

January 25: Spring 2021 Previews: First-Year Writing II: A Spring semester series kicks off with balancing schedule flexibility and assignment scaffolding in first-year writing.

January 26: Spring 2021 Previews: American Lit II: The series continues with the drawbacks and benefits of radically reworking a survey course’s chronology.

January 27: Spring 2021 Previews: Major American Writers of the 20th Century: How to achieve depth without longer works and what I fear might be lost in the process, as the series teaches on.

January 28: Spring 2021 Previews: American Art and Lit 1800-1860: The temptation of the familiar and pushing toward something new—with your help!

January 29: Spring 2021 Previews: Projects Old and New: The series concludes with three scholarly projects on my radar this Spring.

Super Bowl series starts Monday,

Ben

PS. Topics you’d like to see covered in this space? Guest Posts you’d like to contribute? Lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment