My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, October 10, 2020

October 10-11, 2020: Crowd-sourced Recent Reads

 

[Last October I had a lot of fun sharing and AmericanStudying some of my recent reads, and it brought out great responses and nominations for a crowd-sourced weekend post. So this year I wanted to do the same, and leading up this post featuring more of those responses and nominations—add yours in comments, please!]

Following up Wednesday’s post on Washington Black and The Water Dancer, Walter Greason tweets out the connections to the “Black Speculative Arts Movement, #AfrofuturistDesign, and the #WakandaSyllabus.”

Following up Friday’s post and a request for other primary sources, Craig Reid shares, “The White Declaration of Independence created by the White Government Union and Red Shirts in Wilmington, NC in 1898. I showed it to my students this week while teaching about Jim Crow, the Wilmington NC Coup of 1898, and Tulsa OK Massacre of 1921. The students were blown away by the document.”

Other recent reads:

Craig Reid adds, “Also, Marvin Gaye's song, ‘Inner City Blues’ is as relevant in 2020 as it was when it was released in 1971.”

Jeff Renye highlights Mary Butts’ essay on the supernatural in literature, "Ghosties and Ghoulies."

Jenny Fielding nominates, “Real Life—on the Booker shortlist. The best fiction I've read all year.”

Sabrina Marie shares “The Program series by Suzanne Young.”

Paige Wallace writes, “I just started the first book in an eventual trilogy by a friend of mine. I’m only 1/3 of the way through it and already in love with it. The Bone Shard Daughter by Andrea Stewart.”

Derek Tang argues, “The Audacity of Hope, as the title implies, is such a wonderful vision of what this country should really look like.”

DeMisty Bellinger nominates Friday Black, and adds, “I'm now reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for the first time. I have no time to read extra stuff since school started, so it's going slow (stolen paragraphs over a snack while standing up slow).”

Petri Flint writes, “A couple I've enjoyed recently: Laymon, Heavy; Evaristo, Girl, Woman, Other.”

Nicole Sterbinsky highlights “Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor.”

Andrew DaSilva read “Something Out There by Nadime Gordimer.”

Kate Wells shares “Bow Grip by Ivan Coyote and Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch.”

Kaitlynn Chase writes, “Intimations by Zadie Smith was phenomenal!”

And in response to Thursday’s post and my request for other public scholarly recent reads:

Matthew Goguen writes, “Just finished Yellow Bird by Sierra Crane Murdoch. Excellent read!”

Jenny Fielding shares, “Cory Doctorow's latest is published in full on Medium. I recently wrote on this topic too and referred to his piece extensively.”

Jessica Blouin highlights this great piece from a very impressive high school student.

And I’ll end on a very happy note: my colleague and friend Katy Covino writes, “I'd like to give a shout-out to a recently-released professional book that explores how and why teachers remain committed to the profession of teaching. It was a joy to co-author one of the chapters with two hard-working and incredibly-generous educators, Garrett Zecker and Hannah Britten. [BEN: Also two of my favorite FSU alums ever!] Together, we developed a model of entwined symbiosis and outlined its relationship to our work promoting culturally responsive teaching. Brief review here.”

Next series starts Monday,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Recent reads you’d share?

No comments:

Post a Comment