My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, March 6, 2020

March 6, 2020: Other Exemplary Boston Sites


[On March 5th, 1770, the events of the Boston Massacre unfolded on King’s Street. On March 5th, 2020, the Northeast MLA convention will begin in Boston. So for both the Massacre’s 250th anniversary and that ongoing convention, this week I’ll highlight some historic sites and collective memories in Boston!]
On five other spots (in no particular order) to experience the best of Boston history and culture.
1)      The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum: That hyperlinked post kicked off a week-long series on my favorite spot in Boston, so I don’t know that I need to write too much more here about why the Gardner is always, always, always worth a visit.
2)      The Boston Athenaeum: Similarly, in that hyperlinked post on my December book talk at the Athenaeum I highlighted at least a bit of the historic library/archive’s beauty and significance. It also features unique exhibitions that dive into both the city’s history and related themes like the history of the book (that great exhibition closes this month, so hie thee hence with some urgency if you’re around!).
3)      Mount Auburn Cemetery: Once again, that hyperlinked post kicked off a series on Cambridge’s spectacular cemetery and its many historical and cultural contexts. One of the most beautiful spaces in the area, and one that changes dramatically with every season. Check it out, and make sure to climb the tower for the best views in Boston!
4)      The Frederick Law Olmsted National Historic Site: In that Mount Auburn post I also highlighted the vital role of landscape architect Olmsted in creating so many Boston sites and spaces. I’m ashamed to admit that, as of this late-December writing at least, I haven’t had the chance to visit the National Historic Site at Olmsted’s home (despite frequently driving past it). But maybe including it in this list will finally get me to Brookline to visit a museum dedicated to one of my favorite Bostonians!
5)      The Boston Harbor Islands: In this post I highlighted my favorite Harbor Island spot to visit with my sons: Fort Warren, the National Historic Landmark located on Georges Island. What can I say, we’re suckers for the chance to use flashlights to walk down anything known as “The Dark Tunnel.” But that’s just the tip of the Harbor Islands iceberg, and you could spend multiple days exploring this collection of beautiful and historic spaces.
Special post this weekend,
Ben
PS. What do you think? Other sites and collective memories (in Boston or anywhere else) you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment