My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, May 10, 2014

May 10-11, 2014: NeMLA Follow Ups: What’s Next

[About a month ago, I spent a wonderful weekend in Harrisburg for the 2014 Northeast MLA (NeMLA) Conference. As always, I came away inspired on a number of levels, and in this week’s series I’ve shared some of the conversations and voices that contributed to that inspiration. Now I’ll let you know how you can add your own voice and perspective to NeMLA as we move forward!]
Three great ways to get connected to NeMLA in the years to come.
1)      Run for the Board: The role in which I joined NeMLA’s Executive Board, 2nd Vice President, is elected annually, and I’d be happy to talk about it if you’re interested (it’s a four-year commitment that ends with a year as president). But we also have four other Board positions we’ll be electing this fall: Anglophone Literatures; Comparative Languages and Theory; Culture and Media Studies; and a new position, Member at Large for Professional Development (with a preference for a contingent or adjunct faculty member). If you want to hear more about, or self-nominate for, any of those, email me!
2)      Join Us in Toronto: The 2015 Conference will be held the first weekend in May in Toronto, and the deadline for abstract proposals will be September 30th, 2014. As always, there’s an incredibly diverse and inspiring collection of sessions on the CFP, and I’m sure you’ll be able to find something that speaks to your work and interests. So submit, and hopefully we’ll see you in Toronto next May!
3)     Help Me Plan Hartford: My conference as president will be the 2016 conference, which will be held in Hartford, Connecticut. I’ve written before about some of my central goals for that conference, and I’m very excited to be working with faculty and administrators at the University of Connecticut, the University of Hartford, and Trinity College, as well as staff at organizations like the Harriet Beecher Stowe Center. But I can’t emphasize enough how much I want the conference planning, like the conference itself, to be communal and crowd-sourced. So please let me know, here in comments or by email, if you have ideas and thoughts on how a conference like this can be as successful and meaningful as possible. Thanks!
Next series starts Monday,
Ben
PS. Questions or thoughts about these upcoming events? Lemme know!

No comments:

Post a Comment