My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, April 12, 2014

April 12-13, 2014: Crowd-sourced AmericanStudies Books

[A couple weeks back, I had the chance to attend the 2014 Narrative conference at MIT. While there, I spent some time browsing the book tables, and realizing how many interesting new AmericanStudies works are constantly joining the conversation. So in this week’s series I’ve highlighted a handful of the books I discovered there. This crowd-sourced post is drawn from titles shared by fellow AmericanStudiers—share yours in comments, please!]
First, two more from this AmericanStudier: the edited collection Storytelling, History, and the Postmodern South (edited by Jason Phillips).
Luke Dietrich reiterates Trachtenberg, and adds Amy Kaplan’s The Anarchy of Empire in the Making of U.S. Culture, Gloria AnzaldĂșa’s Borderlands/La Frontera, and Philip Deloria’s Indians in Unexpected Places.
Todd Parry notes that Charlotte Biltekoff’s Eating Right in America: The Cultural Politics of Food and Health “is insightful and very cleverly written.”
For more creative works, Matt Cogswell mentions American Horror Story and Quintin Burks goes with One Hundred Years of Solitude; while Ian James notes, “I found Noah to be a very interesting film that made me think. Not only was it a compelling new take on the classic story that featured the human struggle with personal morality, but it prompted an inner discussion in my mind about storytelling as well.”
Next series starts Monday,
Ben
PS. Any other new (or classic) AmericanStudies books you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment