My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, November 23, 2012

November 23, 2012: AmericanThanking, Part Five

[When things are tough, it’s that much more important to remember the best things, those for which we should say a big thanks. So for this week’s series, I’ll highlight some American moments, figures, and texts for which I’m particularly thankful. Please add your own nominations, those things for which you’re thankful, for the weekend post—thanks!]
Five American artists for whose works I will always be thankful, and to which I turn for strength and inspiration time and again:
1)      Bruce, and especially this song;
2)      John Sayles, and especially these movies;
3)      Charles Chesnutt, and especially this novel;
4)      Jhumpa Lahiri, and especially stories like this;
5)      Gloria Anzaldúa, and especially her cross-cultural perspective and voice.
Crowd-sourced post this weekend,
Ben
PS. So one more time, what do you think? Moments, figures, artists, and/or texts you’re thankful for?
11/23 Memory Day nominee: Theodore Dwight Weld, for his ardent abolitionism, his deeply progressive perspective, and his inspiring American marriage, among other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment