My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Thursday, April 26, 2012

April 26, 2012: Great American Stories, Part Four

[As work on the writing project continues, this week’s brief posts will highlight some of my favorite American short stories, by some of our most talented authors in this unique and compelling genre. Suggestions, and even guest posts, very welcome as always!]

Today’s great American story is Sui Sin Far’s

“In the Land of the Free” (1912; starts on page 93 of that book).

Far wasn’t the most talented prose stylist, but I don’t know any American stories that capture America’s darker histories and realities, and their intersections with our ideals and hopes, better than this one. And if the last line doesn’t rip your heart out, then god, Jed, I don’t even want to know you.

Next story tomorrow,

Ben

PS. Almost your last chance for nominations!

4/26 Memory Day nominee: Frederick Law Olmstead, for all the reasons elucidated in that post!

No comments:

Post a Comment