My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Thursday, June 22, 2023

June 22, 2023: Beach Reads: Illmatic Consequences

[The arrival of summer means a lot of good things, but high on the list for this AmericanStudier is the chance to read for pleasure, preferably on a beach blanket with a view of the crashing surf. For this year’s annual Beach Reads series, I’ll highlight recent or forthcoming books by colleagues and friends. Add your Beach Read ideas and nominations for a crowd-sourced weekend post that’ll always keep toes in the sand!]

The first three authors I’ve highlighted in this week’s series are folks I got to know in person, as Fitchburg State colleagues (past and present) and friends. But one of the most amazing things about the 21st century is how many colleagues and friends I’ve never met in person, but have connected with through the intertubes (Twitter especially). One of my most inspiring such connections is to Walter D. Greason, a Professor at Macalester College and a leading voice in History, African American Studies, African Studies, and many more disciplines and communities. And through that connection I’ve had a front-row seat to the creation and publication of the vital new anthology Illmatic Consequences: The Clapback to Opponents of ‘Critical Race Theory’ (2023), co-edited by Greason and Danian Darrell Jerry and with illustrations by Stacey Robinson. Want to be the most badass as well as the best-informed person on your beach of choice? Then make sure to pack Illmatic Consequences in your bag!

Last Beach Reads tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Beach Reads you’d nominate?

No comments:

Post a Comment