My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, June 19, 2023

June 19, 2023: Beach Reads: New to Liberty

[The arrival of summer means a lot of good things, but high on the list for this AmericanStudier is the chance to read for pleasure, preferably on a beach blanket with a view of the crashing surf. For this year’s annual Beach Reads series, I’ll highlight recent or forthcoming books by colleagues and friends. Add your Beach Read ideas and nominations for a crowd-sourced weekend post that’ll always keep toes in the sand!]

It’s pretty rare to find a creative writer who is genuinely equally adept at both poetry and fiction—not just at writing them, that is, but at producing stunning works in both genres. Which makes it pretty cool that I’ve had the chance to work in the Fitchburg State University English Studies Department with two such multitalented writers: my past colleague Ian Williams, on whom more in a couple days; and my current colleague DeMisty D. Bellinger. DeMisty’s first two poetry collections, Rubbing Elbows (2017) and Peculiar Heritage (2021), were quite different from each other, and already reflected a writer and voice that could take readers on multilayered journeys across history, culture, identity, and more. But her most recent book, her debut novel New to Liberty (2022), represents another striking and significant step in this evolving and inspiring career. You won’t better a better book to bring in your book bag this summer, I promise!

Next Beach Reads tomorrow,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Beach Reads you’d nominate?

No comments:

Post a Comment