My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Monday, July 16, 2012

July 16-20, 2012: Talk Amongst Yourselves

This American Studier is headed for vacation this week, taking his little American Studiers back to one of his favorite places in the whole world. I’ll be back (I guess an American Studier should say “I shall return”), and new posts will resume on Saturday, July 21st. But in the meantime, here are a few places where you can find some great American Studies conversations (among the many such sites and conversations to which I’ve linked here over the years; see also all the posts under the “Scholarly Reviews” category):
1)      Mixed Race America, an amazingly thoughtful and interesting blog and community of commenters on all things race, ethnicity, and identity;
2)      Humor in America, where a diverse community of scholars, critics, reviewers, and cultural studiers analyze contemporary and historical American funniness;
3)      Open Salon (where I post a mirrored version of this blog), which has its issues with spam and the like but also features as diverse and talented a group of writers as I’ve found on the web;
4)      The Encyclopedia of American Studies Forum—the EAS itself, on the Editorial Board of which I’m currently serving, is hoping to become open and free to all soon; but the Forum already is, and features some great conversations;
5)      Funk and Beans, where a pair of talented young American Studiers (and lots of great commenters) share their perspectives on pop culture, race and ethnicity, literature and history, politics and education, and much more.
Lots of good stuff happening out there on the intertubes! Please feel free to share sites and conversations you’ve found in comments, and I’ll see you soon,
Ben
PS. Have a great week!

PPS. And I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating: check out the New England American Studies Association's Pre-Conference Blog for some very timely and equally great conversations!
For the 7/16 through 7/20 Memory Day nominees, see the Memory Day Calendar!

No comments:

Post a Comment