My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Friday, May 12, 2023

May 12, 2023: Spring 2023 Surprises: Contemporary Short Stories in Adult Ed

[As another challenging but rewarding semester comes to a close, I wanted to reflect on a handful of moments that particularly surprised me (in good ways). I’d love to hear some of your Spring reflections in comments!]

As I wrote in this preview post, I was really excited to return after many years to literature-focused adult learning courses, teaching Great American Short Stories for both ALFA and WISE (the two such programs in which I teach most frequently). There were lots of reasons for that excitement, but high on the list was the chance to read some contemporary stories I would otherwise have missed (handily collected in the Best American Short Stories 2022 anthology). I enjoyed all the ones I read and taught, but would highlight this trio of particular stand-outs:

1)      Leslie Blanco’s “A Ravishing Sun

2)      Karen Russell’s “The Ghost Birds

3)      and Hector Tobar’s “The Sins of Others” (not available online in full, but well worth seeking out)

Gonna have to make sure I don’t go years between chances to read and teach such great stories again!

Looking ahead this weekend,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Spring semester reflections you’d share?

No comments:

Post a Comment