My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, September 12, 2020

September 12-13, 2020: History through Games: Reacting to the Past

 

[One of the most consistent through-lines in my life as an AmericanStudier, from my own childhood through my experiences with my sons, has been games, both board/card and video. So this week I’ve analyzed a handful of games that offer complex lessons about our past, leading up to this weekend post on the wonderful Reacting to the Past pedagogical games!]

Three voices from whom I’ve learned about Reacting to the Past:

1)      FSU colleagues: My first exposure to RTTP was through two FSU colleagues with whom I’ve had the chance to team-teach our 1980s-focused Intro to American Studies course: Kate Jewell and Christine Dee. Kate in particular has (I believed) used multiple RTTP games in her courses, and hearing her talk about the Chicago, 1968 game convinced me of just how productive (and fun) such pedagogical games could be.

2)      Maria Gapotchenko: No educator I know is a more passionate advocate for RTTP than my friend and former Boston University Writing Program colleague Maria, though. Maria has both used games in her classes and taken part in them alongside colleagues (both at BU and elsewhere), and it was an extended conversation with her that made me certain I want to use RTTP games in my own classes at some point (post-COVID, though, as I think it really demands in-depth, in-person conversations). [Maria adds, "Another person I'd feature would be Greg Costikyan, especially his 'I'm proud of' pieces here."]

3)      Kathryn Lamontagne: Speaking of COVID, the demands of this hugely challenging new semester have meant that I’m not able to share a full Guest Post of Maria’s on RTTP. But she was kind enough to point me to this great piece by her BU colleague Kathryn, which makes the case for RTTP with eloquence and a great deal of specifics. Check it out, let me know if you’ve had the chance to work with RTTP (or if you do in the future), and good gaming, all!

Next series starts Monday,

Ben

PS. What do you think? Other historical games you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment