My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Saturday, December 14, 2019

December 14-15, 2019: Crowd-sourced Musical Icons


[On December 10, 1949, Antoine “Fats” Domino recorded “The Fat Man,” his first recording at New Orleans’ legendary J&M Recording Studios and one of the first rock ‘n roll recordings ever made. So this week I’ve AmericanStudied 50s musical icons, leading up to this crowd-sourced post drawn from the responses & ideas of fellow AmericanStudiers—add yours in comments, please!]
My most recent Guest Poster, and one of my favorite current musicians, Kent Rose offers a few responses to the week’s posts:
Responding to both Monday’s post and the week’s focus on Fats Domino, he writes, “Impossible for me to think of Fats without Dave Bartholomew, who produced, arranged and wrote for Fats and many others. On major Jewish influences, Fred Rose who came from Brooklyn, wrote show tunes, produced, arranged and co-wrote with Hank Williams, Sr.” He adds, “Another fascinating story for me is that of Doc Pomus, an oft overlooked musical giant.”
And responding to Friday’s post, Kent writes, “I would respectfully disagree that Buddy Holly's sound was like Bill Haley's. Holly's original songs were lasting gems, covered many times, and that's why he's remembered more than Ritchie Valens, whose career was so brief that his catalogue was less substantial.”
Also on Friday’s post, Jeff Brenner adds, “Favorite song of all time. Saw him live at Symphony Hall early 70s; lots of folks hate the song; I’ll have to avoid looking at replies.”
Other responses:
Anne Holub writes, “The history of the Louvin brothers is fascinating and sad. More country music but they also kind of fall in that category of early rock and roll.”
Next series starts Monday,
Ben
PS. What do you think? Other musical icons or moments you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment