My New Book!

My New Book!
My New Book!

Thursday, September 28, 2017

September 28, 2017: Early Civil Rights Histories: Women and the Montgomery Bus Boycott



[September 25th marks the 60th anniversary of the Little Rock Nine integrating the city’s all-white Central High School. So this week, after a special post on Little Rock and race, I’ll focus on a few other early Civil Rights moments, histories, and figures.]
I could try to write a post of my own on the incredible, vital, complex, inspiring, and still far too unremembered histories of women’s anti-rape and –racism activism that led directly to Rosa Parks and the 1955 bus boycott in Montgomery. But I couldn’t possibly do a better job than historian Danielle McGuire did in this piece for We’re History. So I’ll leave this post there, and implore you to read McGuire’s piece on that amazing set of early Civil Rights and women’s rights histories.
Last Civil Rights post tomorrow,
Ben
PS. What do you think? Other Civil Rights histories or figures you’d highlight?

No comments:

Post a Comment